2. "Be here now." I saw this sign (featuring a cell phone with a DO NOT slash through it) at the cash register of Mocha Motts in Vineyard Haven this past summer, and I think about it often. It didn't say get off your phone – which would have been to simplistic and banal – but went profound. So, if you are going to come on OCT, make sure you come.
3. A basic car repair/survival kit: ours includes: Vise Grips, duck tape, work gloves, headlamp, WD-40, paracord, tow rope, jumper cables, hammer, 10W-30, spray start, super glue, adjustable wrench, various bolts, hose clamps, and bits and bobs. We have our car manual with us at all times. We also pack a blanket (crocheted by Nana years ago), a fire extinguisher, canteen with cup, Primus stove, and a first-aid kit with Advil, Tylenol, DayQuil and Tums. We also have bottled water, energy bars and a can of Spam.
4. Ear plugs and ear buds. We carry ear plugs with us at all times: if we're at the racetrack for example, or a concert, or out hunting. If we want to take an impromptu nap or if the hotel is noisy – we really can't sleep without them now. We also don't go anywhere ever without ear buds – we can listen to music, talk on the phone, or watch a movie without bothering anyone else.
5. Baby wipes. We discovered them when the kids were in diapers, and we find them indispensable.
6. Chargers for all your electronic devices. Actually, bring two of each. And a spare.
7. One Up! This is our very own wicked/smart word game. It's easy (and hard) to play – it's kind of like Scrabble but way faster and funner. A quick, brainy break whenever needed is in the can.
8. A book. No matter the pace of today's world, and the plethora of gadgets and entertainment opportunities, we sometimes just like to retreat back into a good book. We carry two with us just in case:The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey, and West with the Night by Beryl Markham.
9. Atlas, or map(s) of the area. We also carry a compass.
10. An old's cool friend wears 'dog tags' around his neck, with his name, address, and phone number, which he also has his kids wear whenever they're traveling. He also has a P-38 "John Wayne" and small signal mirror strung on it too.